Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Draft cards


Draft registration cards contain a wealth of information! Though there are no photos attached to the records, the 'description' check boxes provide you with information about the individual's height, build, eyes, hair, and complexion. 

On US World War II Draft cards you get many categories for complexion (an independent category from race) including sallow, light, ruddy, dark, freckled, light brown, dark brown, black. I'll be honest I wasn't quite sure what a 'sallow' or 'ruddy' person would look like!

TheFreeDictionary suggests sallow is "a sickly yellowish hue" (citation) and ruddy as "rosy" or "a healthy, reddish color" (citation).

In a very unscientific analysis of my tree I appear to be related to many blue eyed, black haired, ruddy complected individuals. Two out of those three descriptors are true for myself as well.
I also found the 'name and address of person who will always know your address' box to be very helpful as well. This is often times a spouse, but occasionally a parent or sibling.

Thank you to all current and former military service members.
photo credit: Bert Kaufmann via photopin and cc

No comments:

Post a Comment